Saturday, March 9, 2013

March 9th Book Club Meeting

Ice breaker: Who is your favorite character in Harriet the Spy? -- I got a lot of "Harriet's", a "Sport" and I said "Ole Golly"
 Challenging Words -- Activity didn't go as planned, technology malfunctioned :(
 Think about its -- Discussion from reading assignment. Went well.
 Questions from chapters -- The girls didn't really come up with any, but I came up with a few for the group. 
 Decorate Notebooks -- They loved this!!

--We didn't get to the rest of the agenda-- TIME FLEW BY!!
 Read aloud together
 Discussion
 Assign chapters to read for next week.. well I did assign the chapters.

Thoughts: 

Something interesting that I noticed was that anytime I want to hold a "discussion" about a topic in the book or anything related, the girls are so conditioned to "raising their hands" as if it were a school setting. I don't blame them, it's what they have been doing their whole life. I think I'm going to try something new by teaching them how to manage an intellectual debate/conversation. I know it may be a large feat for 10-12 year olds, but I'll see how it turns out. I'd rather them guide the conversation rather than me having to "call on them". If it doesn't work, we could go back to the other way, but it'll be an interesting experience. '

No comments:

Post a Comment